[Pacemaker] Pacemaker 1.1: cloned stonith resources require --force to be added to levels

Giuseppe Ragusa giuseppe.ragusa at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 4 17:00:28 CEST 2014

From: andrew at beekhof.net
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2014 22:50:28 +1000
To: pacemaker at oss.clusterlabs.org
Subject: Re: [Pacemaker] Pacemaker 1.1: cloned stonith resources require	--force to be added to levels

On 4 Jul 2014, at 1:29 pm, Giuseppe Ragusa <giuseppe.ragusa at hotmail.com> wrote:

> >> Hi all,
> >> while creating a cloned stonith resource
> >
> > Any particular reason you feel the need to clone it?
>
> In the end, I suppose it's only a "purist mindset" :) because it is a PDU whose power outlets control both nodes, so
> its resource "should be" active (and monitored) on both nodes "independently".
> I understand that it would work anyway, leaving it not cloned and not location-constrained
> just as regular, "dedicated" stonith devices would not need to be location-constrained, right?
>
> >> for multi-level STONITH on a fully-up-to-date CentOS 6.5 (pacemaker-1.1.10-14.el6_5.3.x86_64):
> >>
> >> pcs cluster cib stonith_cfg
> >> pcs -f stonith_cfg stonith create pdu1 fence_apc action="off" \
> >>     ipaddr="pdu1.verolengo.privatelan" login="cluster" passwd="test" \    pcmk_host_map="cluster1.verolengo.privatelan:3,cluster1.verolengo.privatelan:4,cluster2.verolengo.privatelan:6,cluster2.verolengo.privatelan:7" \
> >>     pcmk_host_check="static-list" pcmk_host_list="cluster1.verolengo.privatelan,cluster2.verolengo.privatelan" op monitor interval="240s"
> >> pcs -f stonith_cfg resource clone pdu1 pdu1Clone
> >> pcs -f stonith_cfg stonith level add 2 cluster1.verolengo.privatelan pdu1Clone
> >> pcs -f stonith_cfg stonith level add 2 cluster2.verolengo.privatelan pdu1Clone
> >>

> >> the last 2 lines do not succeed unless I add the option "--force" and even so I still get errors when issuing verify:
> >>
> >> [root at cluster1 ~]# pcs stonith level verify
> >> Error: pdu1Clone is not a stonith id
> >
> > If you check, I think you'll find there is no such resource as 'pdu1Clone'.
> > I don't believe pcs lets you decide what the clone name is.
>
> You're right! (obviously ;> )
> It's been automatically named pdu1-clone
>
> I suppose that there's still too much crmsh in my memory :)
>
> Anyway, removing the stonith level (to start from scratch) and using the correct clone name does not change the result:
>
> [root at cluster1 etc]# pcs -f stonith_cfg stonith level add 2 cluster1.verolengo.privatelan pdu1-clone
> Error: pdu1-clone is not a stonith id (use --force to override)

I bet we didn't think of that.
What if you just do:

   pcs -f stonith_cfg stonith level add 2 cluster1.verolengo.privatelan pdu1

Does that work?

could themselves cause fencing (!) if failing (start, monitor, stop) and that an ad-hoc
on-fail setting could be used to prevent that.
Maybe my aforementioned naive testing procedure (pull the iLO cable) could provoke that?
Would you suggest to configure such an on-fail option?

Many thanks again for your help (and all your valuable work, of course!).

Regards,
Giuseppe