[Pacemaker] Pacemaker 1.1: cloned stonith resources require --force to be added to levels

Giuseppe Ragusa giuseppe.ragusa at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 4 05:29:43 CEST 2014

>> Hi all,
>> while creating a cloned stonith resource
>
> Any particular reason you feel the need to clone it?

In the end, I suppose it's only a "purist mindset" :) because it is a PDU whose power outlets control both nodes, so
its resource "should be" active (and monitored) on both nodes "independently".
I understand that it would work anyway, leaving it not cloned and not location-constrained
just as regular, "dedicated" stonith devices would not need to be location-constrained, right?

>> for multi-level STONITH on a fully-up-to-date CentOS 6.5 (pacemaker-1.1.10-14.el6_5.3.x86_64):
>>
>> pcs cluster cib stonith_cfg
>> pcs -f stonith_cfg stonith create pdu1 fence_apc action="off" \
>>     ipaddr="pdu1.verolengo.privatelan" login="cluster" passwd="test" \    pcmk_host_map="cluster1.verolengo.privatelan:3,cluster1.verolengo.privatelan:4,cluster2.verolengo.privatelan:6,cluster2.verolengo.privatelan:7" \
>>     pcmk_host_check="static-list" pcmk_host_list="cluster1.verolengo.privatelan,cluster2.verolengo.privatelan" op monitor interval="240s"
>> pcs -f stonith_cfg resource clone pdu1 pdu1Clone
>> pcs -f stonith_cfg stonith level add 2 cluster1.verolengo.privatelan pdu1Clone
>> pcs -f stonith_cfg stonith level add 2 cluster2.verolengo.privatelan pdu1Clone
>>

>> the last 2 lines do not succeed unless I add the option "--force" and even so I still get errors when issuing verify:
>>
>> [root at cluster1 ~]# pcs stonith level verify
>> Error: pdu1Clone is not a stonith id
>
> If you check, I think you'll find there is no such resource as 'pdu1Clone'.
> I don't believe pcs lets you decide what the clone name is.

You're right! (obviously ;> )
It's been automatically named pdu1-clone

I suppose that there's still too much crmsh in my memory :)

Anyway, removing the stonith level (to start from scratch) and using the correct clone name does not change the result:

[root at cluster1 etc]# pcs -f stonith_cfg stonith level add 2 cluster1.verolengo.privatelan pdu1-clone
Error: pdu1-clone is not a stonith id (use --force to override)
[root at cluster1 etc]# pcs -f stonith_cfg stonith level add 2 cluster1.verolengo.privatelan pdu1-clone --force
[root at cluster1 etc]# pcs -f stonith_cfg stonith level verify
Error: pdu1-clone is not a stonith id
[root at cluster1 etc]# echo $?
1

I suppose that I should devise a testing strategy (like pulling iLO cables and causing a stonith to happen) to verify it.

Many thanks again for your help.

Regards,
Giuseppe