[Pacemaker] Resource is Too Active (on both nodes)

Mohica Jasha mohica.jasha at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 16:35:58 EDT 2013

Hey,

I have two cluster nodes.

I have a service process which is prone to crash and takes a very long time
to start.
Since the service process takes a long time to start I have the service
process running on both nodes, but only the active node with the virtual IP
serves the incoming requests.

On both nodes, I have a cron job which periodically checks if the service
process is up and if not it starts the service.

I want pacemaker to periodically check if the service is down on the active
node and if so, it switches the virtual IP to the second node (without
starting or stopping the my service)

I have the following configuration:

primitive clusterIP ocf:heartbeat:IPaddr2 \
params ip="10.0.1.247" \
op monitor interval="10s" timeout="20s"

primitive serviceMonitoring ocf:serviceMonitoring:serviceMonitoring
params op monitor interval="10s" timeout="20s"

colocation HACluster inf: serviceMonitoring clusterIP
order serviceMonitoring-after-clusterIP inf: clusterIP serviceMonitoring

My serviceMonitoring resource doesn't do anything other than checking the
state of the service process. I get the following in the log file:

Mar 05 15:07:59 [1543] ha1 pengine:   notice: unpack_rsc_op: Operation
monitor found resource serviceMonitoring active on ha2
Mar 05 15:07:59 [1543] ha1 pengine:   notice: unpack_rsc_op: Operation
monitor found resource serviceMonitoring active on ha1
Mar 05 15:07:59 [1543] ha1 pengine:    error: native_create_actions:
Resource serviceMonitoring (ocf:: serviceMonitoring) is active on 2 nodes
attempting recovery
Mar 05 15:07:59 [1543] ha1 pengine:  warning: native_create_actions: See
http://clusterlabs.org/wiki/FAQ#Resource_is_Too_Active for more information.

So it seems that pacemaker calls the monitor method of the
serviceMonitoring resource on both nodes.

Any idea how I can fix this?

Thanks,
Mohica