[Pacemaker] Pacemaker issues on Amazon EC2

Jon Eisenstein jon at animoto.com
Mon Jun 17 23:46:23 EDT 2013

On Jun 17, 2013, at 11:31 PM, Andrew Beekhof <andrew at beekhof.net> wrote:

> On 18/06/2013, at 7:19 AM, Jon Eisenstein <jon at animoto.com> wrote:
>
>> tl;dr summary: On EC2, we can't reuse IP addresses, and we need a reliable, scriptable procedure for replacing a dead (guaranteed no longer running) server with another one without needing to take the remaining cluster members down.
>
> This is almost certainly the wrong approach.
> Have you tried their Virtual Private Network feature?  This allows for the use of predictable IPs.

We've previously decided against it due to the performance impact of IPSec and the complications involved in managing the network routing against the rest of our stack. It's something that we're investigating more, but the timeline's a bit longer than our HA need here. If VPC becomes the only viable option, we may unfortunately have to abandon the cluster approach altogether for now, which I'm trying to avoid.