[Pacemaker] Two resource nodes + one quorum node

Andrew Beekhof andrew at beekhof.net
Thu Jun 13 07:15:09 EDT 2013

On 13/06/2013, at 8:08 PM, Arvydas <arvydas at artogama.lt> wrote:

> i wonder what is the mechanics behind fence looping? Could anyone explain it in detail.
>
> Since in master/slave scenario, slave shoots master and becomes master, why would shot-down-node shoot new-master when it is back?

Because it can't reach the master and therefore has no way of knowing what state it is in (good or bad).
It also can't become the master until it has shot the other guy - to make sure they're not both the master.

> i only see it like this: a shot-down-node comes back and can't see the state of new master, but it would take some really nasty glich in networking

Or a switch gone bad, or someone misconfiguring a firewall, or an upgrade where some idiot (me) forgot to reapply a patch and now the two versions can't talk to each other, there are plenty of ways and people inevitably find them.