[Pacemaker] Announce: Making Resource Utilization Dynamic

David Vossel dvossel at redhat.com
Thu Jun 6 10:37:01 EDT 2013

----- Original Message -----

This is an interesting idea.

Depending on the type of load, it seems like having utilization rules be dynamic could lead to a situation where resources start migrating in a loop.  Maybe in some specific scenarios this could work, but for the most part I wouldn't think dynamic load balancing should live at the pacemaker resource management level.

I've been thinking a bit about how to leverage utilization rules better lately as well. My approach would be to have the resource agents actually enforce the utilization attributes associated with them in the cluster configuration. This could be achieved by using linux containers to enforce utilization constraints on non-virtual resources, or in the case of virtual resources, enforce the cpu and memory constraints on the actual virtual machine.

-- Vossel