[Pacemaker] Action "unknown exec error" and unmanaged/failed resources, how to migrate?

Mark Williams mwp at mwp.id.au
Mon Apr 29 00:48:58 EDT 2013

Hi all,

My two node cluster (qemu VMs, drbd) is now in quite a messy state.

The problem started with a unresponsive qemu VM, which appeared to be
caused by a libvertd problem/bug.
Others said the solution was to kill & restart libvertd which didnt help.
To fix the problem, i figured putting the node1 into a clean state via
server reboot would be the best idea, so i issued a crm standby
command.

I now have node1 in a standby state, but the resources/vm's that were
(and still are) running on it have a "Master Started  (unmanaged)
FAILED" state according to crm_mon.

Any actions i try to perform on that node (for example, moving a
resource to the other node) results in a "unknown exec error".

I tried using crm_resource -C on a node1 "Started  (unmanaged) FAILED"
resource, which changed its state to "Master (unmanaged) FAILED" (it
did shutdown the running qemu VM).
Trying to move that resource to node2 still fails with "unknown exec error".

How do i get out of this problem?

Thanks in advance,
Mark Williams.