[Pacemaker] Web farm question

Robert Parsons rparsons at tappublishing.com
Wed Apr 24 10:49:00 EDT 2013

We are building a new web farm to replace our 7 year old system. The old
system used ipvs/ldirectord/heartbeat to implement redundant load
balancers. All web server nodes were physical boxes.

The proposed new system will utilize approximately 24 virtual machines
as web servers. Load balancing and redundancy will be done via ClusterIP
rather than an explicit load balancer. We're looking at potentially 50
services running on 24 nodes. Pacemaker seemed like it would accommodate
such a setup, however, from my research I am worried that perhaps it
will not scale up to such a level.

Does anyone have any experience or feedback on this proposed approach to
a web farm? Should I consider another approach?

Thanks for any info.

- Rob Parsons