[Pacemaker] Providing high availability for multiple applications.

Michael Schwartzkopff misch at clusterbau.com
Mon Oct 22 04:01:51 EDT 2012

> Hi all,
>
> I've been investigating Pacemaker/Corosync for providing high availability
> for a wide range of applications. I found this combination to be very
> useful. Some of my applications require a fail-over cluster while others
> require load-balanced cluster.
>
> I am wondering what are the best practices when managing the clusters for
> those applications.
>
> Currently, each application runs in a separate/dedicated cluster. I
> essentially have different corosync configurations, one per cluster.
>
> I am wondering if it is not better to setup 1 large Pacemaker cluster which
> is partitioned in such a way that certain resources are dedicated to a
> certain application (using node attribute expressions like in
> http://www.clusterlabs.org/doc/en-US/Pacemaker/1.0/html/Pacemaker_Explaine
> d/ch-rules.html#s-expression-attribute).
>
> There would only be 1 Corosync configuration, and the cluster is
> partitioned using some naming convention. It seems to me that this would
> simplify management.
>
> I wonder what people think about this approach.
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Guillaume.

Yes. gathering all applications in one cluster is possible. From my experience
I would think about two points:

- Be sure to make your cluster powerful enough that the applications still run
if one (ore two) servers are down.

- Make a separate cluster for the loadbalancers. That makes debugging much
easier.

Greetings,

--
Dr. Michael Schwartzkopff