[Pacemaker] centos 6 fence_apc parameter error

Michael Brennen michael at fishnet.us
Thu Oct 11 14:49:31 EDT 2012

On Thu, 11 Oct 2012, Dejan Muhamedagic wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 09:45:46AM -0500, Michael Brennen wrote:
>> On Wed, 10 Oct 2012, Dejan Muhamedagic wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,

>>> It won't work from the command line, because the crm shell parser
>>> never sees the quotes (they're digested by /bin/sh). You can type
>>> this in the crm shell or protect the quotes using \ (at least
>>> those for pcmk_host_list, others not necessary).
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Dejan
>>
>> Well... now that I think about it that makes perfect sense.
>
> It does, though it certainly is surprising. With two
> lexers/parsers involved, well, it takes a computer brain to deal
> with it :( If anybody has an idea how to deal with this in a
> better way...

After about 36 years of coding and running the beasts I *might* on some of my
better days qualify for the computer brain part. :)

Andrew's suggestion to use the syntax pcmk_host_list="fail1,fail2" is one
possibility.

After trying to build a heartbeat cluster in 2008, which I abandoned because I
could not get it stable enough to remotely think about production, I picked it
back up again about 3-4 weeks ago; this time it seems to be more stable,
partly because this time I am not trying to make it work with ocfs2 shared
storage.

I am still in "monkey see, monkey do" copy, modify to fit, and paste mode on
configurations, and the syntax variations of space, comma, and semicolon
separators are unknown to me.  When things don't work I assume it is because I
have made a mistake somewhere; it just does not occur to look to the obvious
fact that bash is eating the quotes--although at some point I had a hunch
about escaping the space in "fail1 fail2" and did not actually try it.

I don't know how to work around that sort of newbie learning curve. :(