[Pacemaker] Howto handle opt-in clusters WAS: Re: resource monitor operations on wrong nodes

martin.braun at icw.de martin.braun at icw.de
Fri Apr 16 13:26:02 UTC 2010

Hi,

> > I have a non-symmetric cluster (symmetric-cluster="false") with four
> > nodes.
> We still check _every_ node to be sure the resources aren't already
> running there.

OK, that is reasonable - but I have trouble with the logic of the
messages: they are listed as failed actions, however if the resource
mustn't run there at first place it is not a failure that the resource is
not installed. For the admins of such a cluster  I would like to have a
clean status view - but you get several "false alarms" when you have
different resources which can't run on all nodes.
Will such a message send also an SNMP Trap (or Email if configured)?
Or do I need to install dummy scripts on these nodes to avoid such
messages?
Perhaps this is only more or less something that the crm-shell should
handle?
Sometimes resources are trying to start on false nodes and are increasing
also the failcounter - is this also a correct behavior or
misconfiguration?

And what about the ocf-scripts, do I need to copy them to all nodes - even
to those nodes where the application is not installed. Because I can only
configure the resources in crm shell when invoked on the node where the
application is installed otherwise I get an:
 ERROR: lrm_get_rsc_type_metadata(578): got a return code HA_FAIL from a
reply message of metadata with funct
ERROR: ocf:icw:ocfAPP: no such resource agent
(I understand this error message because obviously the shell is looking on
the local node for the ocf script.)

I know I can use the cibadmin for this case, but it would be more
user-friendly to be able to centrally administrate a cluster with the crm
shell.

I am not sure if I am going in the right direction but I want to set up a
6-8 nodes cluster where on pairs (drbd) of them are running different
applications and I need a status view for "normal" admins so they can see
at a glance that everything is OK (or not).

Thanks in advance,
Martin